The most recent measures of the Hungarian Government adopted and announced in the Official Gazette on 30 April 2020 within the frameworks of the handling of the epidemic emergency are as follows:
I. Rules related to the outdoor access ban
In certain cases, the related decrees apply a differentiation between Budapest and Pest county and the rest of the country from the aspect of the territorial scope of the rules, while other rules on the outdoor access ban are applicable to the entire country. The new rules shall become effective as of 4 May 2020.
1. Measures applicable to the entire territory of Hungary except for Budapest and Pest county
The restrictions ordered in the Government Decree No. 71/2020 (III.27.) on the Outdoor Access Ban in respect of the territory of Budapest and Pest county are maintained (except for the amendments applicable to this area as well – please refer to Section I.2 herein), but in respect of the rest of the country’s territory, the outdoor access ban is terminated subject to the observation of the following rules:
- Each person is obliged to limit the social interactions to the lowest possible extent (except for the persons residing in the same household) and keep a distance of at least 1.5 metres from every other person, if possible (hereinafter referred to as the protective distance);
- During the term of shopping in stores and using public transport, each person shall wear a protective tool that covers the mouth and nose as well (e.g., medical mask, scarf, shawl);
- The public areas and public parks are opened for visitors; however, the protective distance shall be obeyed;
- Elderly persons are still entitled to leave their homes in the case of absolute necessity only and in the time period between 9 and 12 o’clock. The Government authorizes the local municipalities to set the detailed rules of visiting of local (settlement-level) marketplaces by elderly persons;
- Shops are allowed to be open and visited by customers;
- It is allowed to stay and consume the ordered food and drinks at the terrace or in the garden of catering establishments (in particular, restaurants, coffee shops, confectioneries, buffets, and coffee-bars);
- To stay in the catering establishment is still prohibited (this rule does not apply to the employees of the establishment). The above rules shall not apply to the short-term stay in the catering establishment for the purpose of giving out and taking over of take-away-ready food;
- Beaches and open-air swimming pools are allowed to be open and visited by guests;
- Open-air museums and the zoo are allowed to be open and visited by guests;
- Services are free to use by any person; the stores providing services are allowed to be open and visited by customers;
- The operators of the stores, shops, and places that are allowed to be open and visited are obliged to provide for the conditions required to keep the protective distance;
- In catering establishments, the protective distance shall be kept between tables;
- The operators of the catering establishments are relieved of the payment of the fee for the use of the public area, from the effective date of the decree until 1 September 2020, in respect of the terrace of the establishment located and operating on the public area;
- As an exemption from the restrictions applicable to the organization of events, funerals, civil marriage ceremonies, and religious events are allowed to be held;
- The rules concerning the protective distance shall be observed during religious events, funerals and civil marriage ceremonies (this does not apply to the couple);
- The classes in institutions of tertiary education are allowed to be attended by the students, observing the rules set by the Rector. Visiting of the student’s halls of the institutions of tertiary education remain is prohibited for students;
- The Rector shall provide for the conditions required for the observation of the protective distance.
2. Measures applicable to the entire territory of Hungary, including Budapest and Pest county (effective as of 4 May 2020)
- Sport events (including horse races) may be held without an audience, under closed circumstances;
- Attendance at a training organized by sports associations, or for the purpose of going in for amateur, recreational or mass sports is allowed;
- The above rules shall apply even if the Government Decree on the outdoor access ban or the Government Decree on the protection measures provides otherwise.
II. Further significant measures
In order to mitigate the economic burdens caused by the pandemic, the Government has decided on the reduction of the corporate income tax-related limits on investments, the partial lifting of the restrictions of the passenger traffic entry to Hungary in respect of Hungarian citizens returning from business trips from the Czech Republic, Poland, South-Korea, Germany, Austria, and Slovakia; furthermore, within the frameworks of the Economic Protection Action Plan, additional rules were set concerning the Széchenyi Card Programme’ credit constructions and the measures related to the agro-business’ credit- and guarantee constructions, as well as the provision of extra funds, aimed to handle the economic problems caused by the pandemic in the agricultural sector.